Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Thornton Family Trip to Gatlinburg

We just got back from our Thornton family vacation in Gatlinburg. We rented a cabin and just enjoyed spending time together for a few days. It was so relaxing and so much fun. My parents came down Christmas night and stayed through Friday to help us with Gracen so everyone could get packed for Gatlinburg. My dad just can't get enough of her.

Our friends Phillip and Carey came to see us before we left so they could see Gracen (and us I think) before we left. They love her so much as you can tell. Gracen is so blessed to have so many people love her so much.





Playin' around at the cabin


On Sunday, it was too foggy to get down the mountain, so we just layed around and enjoyed the cabin's amenities: hot tub on the deck, pool table, air hockey table, and 9 (yes, I said 9) TV's.





Gracen never had to worry about being left alone. Her cousins dote on her every chance they get. Jeffrey and I would bet on who would be the first to say, "Can I hold Gracen?" One day Lillie Kate sat in a rocking chair for nearly 2 hours while Gracen napped, so that she would be the first to hold her when she woke up. I really thought they might get their "fill" of her by the end of the week, but I still think they would argue over who got to hold her last. Gracen's face lights up when her cousins talk to her. She knows that they are very special. I tell you what, if Gracen's spoiled, it's not all mine and Jeffrey's fault. She's just well loved. I guess that's what happens when there's a 6 year gap between her and her youngest cousin. Well, Gracen has been sucking on her fist for several weeks, and she finally got her thumb. She still loves her pacifier in times of distress, but the thumb is just convenient to suck on when she's happy. Sometimes she'll put her thumb in the hole of her passy and gets to enjoy both.

Hike to Waterfall at Cherokee Village



Kandy & Sadie

Barbara & James OscarJase, Kade, Sadie, Lillie Kate, ColeStephanie & Lillie Kate
Lillie Kate, Amanda, Jase, Sadie, Kade

Hike to Crystal Falls at Cades Cove

Gracen, Barbara, and I stayed in the car and watched Shrek the Third. It was a 3 hour hike and too cold to get Gracen out. Everyone enjoyed the hike, but they were all ready for bed that night.

It snowed Tuesday night and all day Wednesday, so we got to ski. The kids did great. It was so much fun to watch them learn. One time Sadie fell and her ski wen about 200 yards down the mountain. At first she tried to scoot down. Then she army crawled. Then she tried to get on Jeffrey's back for a free ride down. Finally she took off her ski and walked down. I was laughing so hard I nearly wet my pants. She just laughed it off, and we got back on the lift. It was really cold, but we had so much fun.

Trip Home

We stopped in Nashville on our way home to visit with my best friend from high school, Andrea and her husband Corey.


After we left Nashville, we stopped in Memphis to see Matt & Liz. And for some reason, we did not take a picture. It was so good to catch up with them, too. We hadn't seen them since their wedding, and it was their first time to see Gracen. Matt, of course, snatched her up as soon as I offered. I knew he would love getting to hold her. He's going to make a great dad some day.

2 comments:

Lindsey Eason said...

Oh wow - I've missed a lot of posts! You guys have been super busy lately! I really loved all your pictures - the pic of you with Amy was so cute and I'm so glad you posted one of Andrea with her new hubby - that's the first time I've seen him! And btw: your story about your cousin walking down the snowy mountain to get her ski had me laughing out loud...I was just picturing you laughing hard and I started to get the giggles too! So glad ya'll are all doing good - Gracen is growing so much and is so sweet!!

Mindy said...

I'm worn out for you guys. Great trip and as always great pics! Thanks for sharing your beautiful blessing!