Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Scary Day

Yesterday had to be the scariest day of mine and Jeffrey's lives. Gracen had a seizure while she and I were laying down together. I don't typically lay down with her, but I know that the Lord led me to do it yesterday. Her seizure lasted about 4 minutes and was caused by a fever virus. She acted perfectly normal all day, but her fever spiked which caused the seizure. We took her to the ER here in town, and did not have a very good experience. So after talking to our pediatrician, we took her to a different hospital where they deduced that it was a febrile seizure. This was the best case scenario for us. She's acting like her normal self again, which is such a relief to us. We saw our pediatrician today and he reassured us that she is fine and that febrile seizures do not have long term effects like epilespy seizures could. She does have an increased chance of having another seizure with a fever spike, but we are going to be very aggressive anytime we feel a fever coming on to try to avoid this situation from ever happening again.

Thank you to all 0ur family and friends for all of your love, support, concern, and prayers through this very stressful and frightening experience. It is through times like these that we realize how truly blessed we are and reminded how great and powerful is our God we serve. He was watching over us through the whole situation with control. How great is our God!

12 comments:

Morgan Holt said...

Amanda, I wanted to let you know that I am a child that had numerous febrile seizures growing up. My parents inform me that they are the scariest things to watch. I've been watching my girls like a hawk because they always spike fevers on me close to 104-105 each time. I had very high fevers growing up and I still do. My girls seem to have inherited the fevers. I'm hoping they don't inherit the seizures as well. They couldn't get me in the bathtub fast enough to cool my body down before I would go into a seizure. My mom also informed me that I started that between the ages of 2-3 and it lasted until around 5 then I grew out of it. My pediatrician at the time put me on some type of medication to prevent them. I know as a parent that it's probably very scary but I wanted you to know that I'm still here and doing well!! :) I hope Gracen gets to feeling better. My girls just got over a nasty fever virus that lasted around 48 hours just this past week.

AshlieB said...

I am sure that was the scariest moment of your life. I cannot imagine! I am so happy everything turned out alright. God is good!

theruples said...

Oh my goodness! I can't even imagine! You handled that situation very well. I didn't even know that could happen with fever but I will watch Jack much closer now. Thank you so much for sharing this information. I hope Gracen is feeling better!

Jaime said...

I heard about Gracen's seizure yesterday and I'm so glad she is OK. Abigail said a special prayer last night for her to get better. Let me know if you need anything!

Sarah Morris said...

oh, amanda, I too would have so been wiggin out. I will definitely remember y'all in our prayers, & I'm so glad she's better. That precious girl!

RobinVZ said...

Greg and I are both so glad Gracen is okay! I had seizures when I was Gracen's age and eventually grew out of them. I'm sure it scared you to death!

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry for you. That is exactly what happened to
kayden 3 years ago. It WAS the scariest thing i have ever been through, too. glad little miss is better.

April said...

I'm just now reading this. For some reason my blog list does not seem to update with your latest posts until a few days later...sorry! I, too, am sorry you guys had such a scary experience. I am very thankful that Gracen is okay. The good news...it was a febrile seizure! That sounds funny, but what I mean is that febrile seizures really have no long term side effects at all, as long as you were able to keep her safe during the seizure itself (which, of course, you were able to do!). I am thankful you were with her when it happened, but I know it must have done a number to your heart and stomach! :) We'll be praying that you don't have to endure any repeat episodes over the years to come. So glad she's okay...and that you're okay, too!

Karie said...

Praise God she's alright! We will be praying that won't happen again! I'm glad that you were with her. She is so lucky to have you two as parents.

Kristin said...

I'm so glad that Gracen is doing well now. We will definitely be praying that she doesn't have any more seizures. What a scary experience!

Kim said...

Oh, Amanda. I can't even imagine. I am so sorry you, Jeffrey and Gracen had to go through this. I am so thankful she is going to be okay and it wasn't worse. You've reminded and encouraged me to not take my kids health for granted. I will say a prayer that Miss Gracen will not have to experience that ever again.

Sallie said...

oh, amanda. I am just now catching up... I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that. I just wanted to pass along a word of encouragement. BOTH of my older sisters got a fever virus when Julie was 4 and Mindi was 2. BOTH had febrile seizures from the high fevers they spiked one night. It NEVER happened again, and they have had NO complications from it. I'm thinkin' about you, friend.